Fairy WhiteTM Magnolia laevifolia
Fairy White is a small Magnolia producing pure white fragrant cup-shaped flowers. It is the earliest-flowering of the "Fairy" series of Magnolias, and also the most vigorous - but still likely to be less than 3m tall in the longer term.
The flowers are long-lasting, and a second flush may appear in early summer.
Fairy White magnolia trees for sale
Sorry we have not produced any trees of this variety this season.
How to grow
Fairy White grows with a shrub-like habit, and should reach a maximum height of about 3m in UK conditions.
In UK conditions Fairy White is generally evergreen, and retains its leaves over winter, although it may shed them and re-grow them in a bad spring.
Fairy White responds well to pruning, and will readily produce new shoots after cutting, making it a good choice if you want to try a Magnolia hedge.
Fairy White was developed in New Zealand by Mark Jury, a well-known breeder of new Magnolia varieties. It is a sister variety of Fairy Cream and Fairy Blush. These three Magnolias all belong to the species Magnolia laevifolia, which is very precocious, producing flowers from a much younger age than the more established Magnolia species.
Fairy White characteristics
- Gardening skillBeginner
- Attractive featuresAttractive flowersScented flowers
- Growth habitUpright-spreading / Vase
- Height after 10 years2.5m-3.5m / 8ft-12ft
- SunlightPrefers full sun
- PruningPrune after flowering
- Growth rateFast
- Site conditionsSheltered siteFree-draining site
- Flower colourWhite
- Flower formSingle flower (5-8 petals)
- Flowering monthAprilJuneJuly
- Leaf colourGreen
- Leaf colour - autumnGreen
- Leaf/Flower sequenceLeaves appear first - semi-evergreen
- Country of originNew Zealand
- Annual cycleEvergreen
Magnolia laevifoliaFairy Blush
A small semi-evergreen Magnolia with fragrant lilac pink flowers.
Magnolia laevifoliaFairy Cream
Fairy Cream is a semi-evergreen Magnolia with creamy white cup-shaped flowers.