'Gibbsii' is a hybrid Sorbus with a notably upright columnar form, and leaves which are less pinnate than many other varieties, although with good autumnal colours.
The fruitlets are a bright orange-red, like mini rose-hips.
Gibbsii rowan trees for sale
Deliveries from January 2021 (where items shown in stock).
- Gardening skillBeginner
- AwardsRHS Award of Garden Merit
- Attractive featuresAttractive fruitAttractive foliageAutumn foliage colour
- Growth habitUpright
- Height after 10 years3m-5m / 10ft-16ft
- PruningLight prune
- Growth rateAverage
- Site conditionsCoastal siteOccasional flooding
- Flower colourWhite
- Flowering monthMayJune
- Leaf colourGreen
- Leaf colour - autumnMultiple tints
- Fruit colourRed
- Fruit persistencePersistent
- WildlifeAttractive to birds
- Annual cycleDeciduous
What will it look like?
Illustrative example of a pot-grown tree of this variety as supplied.
Approximate girth: 6/8cm.
Trees should reach their mature height after about 10 or more years.
How to choose a Rowan or Whitebeam tree
We list more than 50 Sorbus (rowan and whitebeam) trees. Choosing can be difficult! Our article explaining the different berry and leaf colours might help narrow down the selection.